I want my poetry swag back!

So I have been writing since I was little. My best friend in high school would call me love jones and always ask me if I had a poem for her just like the shop owner (I forget her name) used to do with Justice in Poetic justice. In college I wrote a lot, everything that was going on in my life I had a poem for it. For the past 2 years though, I really lost my inspiration, and especially since I started blogging I tend to put my thoughts here instead of reflecting on it in a more creative way.

So now I am on a quest to get back in heavy mode of writing poetry (I'm trying to get on MizRep's level) so I went back in the archives and read a whole lot of stuff that I wrote back in the day and one of them sort of reminded me of Opinionated Diva's post today. It was talking about crossing the line with a friend and making it more than a friendship. So this poem is about already taking it there with a friend and trying to go back to just being friends even though your still crushing on each other.


Ally No More

At one time he was more
But now I have to digress
We can only be friends
Its all for the best
Intimate moments will be missed
Our chemistry was like no other
Once faced with seduction
I now see him as my brother
Maybe this will draw us closer
A time may come to revisit
Friends do make the best lovers
It's obvious we miss it
But instead we hold back
Now is definitely not the time
True love is worth waiting for
I'm sure one day you'll be mine
We'll continue dating other people
Act like we've never been in the nude
I'm sure we'll be tempted
But I wont be subdued
Awkward to say the least
Questioning how we go back
Mind memories of orgasm
I have to erase to get on track
Can't remember why we took it there
Complexities rival why we don't stay
The pace we fell in...was overwhelming
Yet I still wait upon the day
We are mature enough to handle
The mutual feeling we have between us
Or are we naive to our shared moments
What we thought was love, was lust





Copyright © 2001 by Jonesin' Enterprises All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission.


PS - I think some of ya'll missed the collab that me and Sojourner G did because I posted it right before RBW relationship week started. So if you missed it... you can check it out here.

15 comments

Miss Snarky Pants April 2, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Your post title reads "I want my poetry swag back" but according to this and some of your other pieces I've read...it hasn't gone anywhere!!

TRANSLATION: YOU STILL GOT IT GURL!!!! :-)

12kyle April 2, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Very good! I like this. I have lived this before. We were in lust with a lil bit of like sprinkled in there.

swag_ambassador April 2, 2008 at 4:58 PM

you want me back? LOL JK

I feel you totally on the post though, but like ms.behaving said, U still got it ma.. I have trouble harnessing my poetry juices sometimes, as I havent written anything in almost a year. I cant force it, so when it comes, itll come I guess

Anonymous April 2, 2008 at 5:14 PM

You still got that swag.

I can't write poetry to save my life.

Oh the piece with you and Sojourner G was nice. I was feeling it.

i.can't.complain. April 2, 2008 at 8:01 PM

"im sure one day you'll be mine."

that's confidence

-1-

Rich Fitzgerald April 2, 2008 at 8:04 PM

mehhh, it was ok. keep exploring those feelings and don't feel the need to rhyme, sometimes the best expressions come on the off beat.

One Man’s Opinion April 2, 2008 at 10:01 PM

I am one of the ones who missed the collab. I am glad you are finding that poet inside of you and bringing her out. I'm sure she was dying inside there, but you rescued her. Good for you.

Jazzy April 2, 2008 at 10:26 PM

Thnx for the shout out! This poem speaks to my HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION (I have to keep stressing it wasn't real, since I've received some emails about it!lol) perfectly.

For me...I think the jury is still out on whether "friends make the best lovers" though.

Mizrepresent April 2, 2008 at 10:52 PM

I have read some really deep and moving stuff from you girl, so i am just gonna say...you ain't trying to get it back. I find myself writing when i most moved...i know, i know, you think i'm moved everyday, and in a way i am, maybe by not what's exactly going on in my life right now, but by a memory. Now as far as friends and lovers, i have loved my best friends, and it was great, but it also led to the worst heartbreak(s). It's a definite give and take situation, have been friends with old lovers, and still am. Thanks so much for the shoutout Eb! I appreciate you!

Chris April 2, 2008 at 10:58 PM

considering the entry I just finished, GOSH this piece is so on point. This doesn't reflect the skills of someone with swag lost, it's more like "full of swag." Keep it up.

dejanae April 3, 2008 at 11:35 AM

putting feelings to paper is therapeutic
i still tend to let it lapse for a while

glad ur back to doing something u enjoy

kit von b. April 3, 2008 at 5:32 PM

*snaps fingers*

you do open mic stuff eb???
this poem was ILL.

-KB

Shai April 4, 2008 at 9:40 AM

I agree with Rich on the rhyming. It can be forced and mess up the flow. Great piece. Just remember feel the flow not the need to rhyme.

I don't how you can say you lost your swag. LOL. I feel ya though. I have not written a poem for about 2 weeks. I miss the sparks flying when I am typing/writing of a mad flow.

Ease up on yourself and don't compare to others be your better self.

LOL> I usually don't give advice. As a poet, I have felt like you do.

Anonymous April 4, 2008 at 5:41 PM

you know you've got skillz. let 'em run, let 'em grow.
-Yoda

Help keep this site up and running


and be sure to follow @thegirthpodcast instagram for hilarious sex memes and on twitter episode highlights and daily sex articles.

My Renaissance People aka Blog Subscribers