RBW Spotlight : Siedah Garrett



















I still haven't stopped watching Michael Jackson specials and you know they say behind every great man is a great woman. Seidah Garrett was a co-writer of "Man in the Mirror." She also was the female lead on "I Just Can't Stop Loving You." Her accomplishments run much farther then her work with MJ though. This singer/songwriter is a Grammy winner and was nominated for an Oscar.

It is said that she "customizes songs to fit their personalities and deliver their message. She takes herself out of the picture, as a method of letting that person shine."

Let's break down some of her credits right quick:
Remember Jennifer Hudson singing "Love You I Do" in Dreamgirls? Yup, she wrote that!

One of my fav Quincy Jones songs, "The Secret Garden." Yeah she co-wrote that!

Remember the movie Little Shop of Horrors??? Yeah she was one of the performers in that movie.

An amazing band by the name of the Brand New Heavies, she did an album with them.

I could go on and on and on.

Of all her accomplishments, she thanks Michael for validifying her as a songwriter. Before he performed "Man in the Mirror," she only considered herself a "demo writer." Check out this video of her remembering Michael and her performing "Man in the Mirror" with the Agape International Choir.



She wouldn't be a Renaissance Black Woman if she didn't have an array of accomplishments under her belt. She also has a successful handbag line. You can go HERE to check them out!

6 comments

Anonymous July 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I can't stop watching MJ specials. I will be watching the one tonight on ABC too.

MsKayotic July 14, 2009 at 12:10 PM

If it has anything Michael in it, I'm watching, reading, or listening. As long as it stays positive. I'm not hearing haters right now.

RainaHavock July 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I'm with you guys I'm watching all the MJ specials and the haters can back down.

Niki McNeill Brown July 17, 2009 at 8:44 AM

OMG I love Brand New Heavies... she has an amazing career story. Thanks for sharing!

clnmike July 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Song writers never get enough credit.

The Activist July 18, 2009 at 7:23 AM

Thanks for sharing this. This is a great behind the scene woman that we my never have heard of if not for you

Help keep this site up and running


and be sure to follow @thegirthpodcast instagram for hilarious sex memes and on twitter episode highlights and daily sex articles.

My Renaissance People aka Blog Subscribers