The Polly Parrot Syndrome


It has always been around and I'm not sure if it has an official name but I like to call it the "Polly Parrot" Syndrome. These are people that can only be around someone that is going to always agree with them, always do what they say, never challenge them in any way, are only apart of their lives to be seen and not heard, and can't handle being around people that have a mind of their own.

There are 2 instances where I've realized this about people I know this year and it shows how weak minded they can be, and/or how insecure they are with some aspect of their lives.

I don't understand the syndrome because I have never been the bully. Yes I clown people but I have never been the person that wanted to boss everyone around or change people. If you don't want to do what I want to do the way I want to do it that's fine and keep it moving. But those people that try to force people to do things they don't want to do is lame to me. Hang around people that have backbones like I do. I love a good debate and love to be around people that have different views and don't always agree with me. It gives you different perspectives on ways of life.

If you resist reading what you disagree with, how will you ever acquire deeper insights into what you believe? The things most worth reading are precisely those that challenge our convictions" ~Author Unknown


The above quote is not only relative to what you read but the type of people you interact with. Your family, friends, co-workers, and lovers. Maybe I'm talking in circles so let me give examples.

1. I have this one female friend that always wants everybody to go and do what she wants to do, how she wants to do it, and when she wants to do it. She will call you asking what you are doing, come to where you are, and then say well let's do blah blah blah. Trick, no, I'm doing what I'm doing and didn't ask you to tag along so stop coming around and trying to De-bo the situation because you weren't even invited. I think since I haven't known her that long that I have to be the first chick she's ever befriended that doesn't just go with the flow w/ her. She seriously expects people to do what she says. Now I know I can be a little spoiled at times, but this chick thinks she's a damn princess. To the point that on most occasions recently, I've ignored when she's hit me up asking what's going on. I think she's finally starting to realize that no one really wants to be around her and that's sad because when she's not ego tripping she's a cool chick, but I don't have time.

2. In a heated drunken argument and African American Male told me "See, this is why I don't f*ck with black girls." Yeah, can you believe it??? You have to be an extremely weak man and one that has fallen victim to "Polly Parrot" syndrome if you can't handle a simple argument with a black girl. So you only want to be with a white woman because she won't ever argue with you when you do some f*cked up sh*t? I don't have problems with interracial relationships at all, but if your reasoning for not dating black women is because you want someone at your Becky and call, I mean beck and call, doing whatever you say, when you say it, and how you want it done, and won't ever question you, then you have some serious issues that ending up with a white girl is not going to fix. That's the type of person that no matter what you do as a black woman you are never going to be enough for that dude so you struggle with keeping him at arm's length and trying to prove him wrong. Eventually both get old to the strong. I want a man that challenges me in a way that doesn't include me acting like a white girl.


3. And this last example is a weird one and not really a personal example that I've had to deal with but I've seen it a lot lately. I have always been the chick that can't hang out with a lot of chicks and don't really like too many chicks but have always had at least 2 ride or die even though I'd rather hang out with my boys. Every chick in the world is on this "I don't hang with chicks like that" steeze and I'm over it. Something is seriously wrong with you if you don't have at least 1 ride or die female friend. The new thing these chicks have taken on is only hanging out with gay dudes. Wait now what? Yes the new thing for female that don't realize they are so jacked up that other women don't want to be around them is that they befriend a whole bunch of gay dudes and thinks that's okay. A gay male is NOT a female and thus another example of Polly Parrot syndome because being the only REAL female in a crew of men with feminine characters seems to me like you just can't handle REAL women.

I'm sure there are more examples of Polly Parrot Syndrome out there so feel free to express your stories in the comments.

Leave a comment

Help keep this site up and running


and be sure to follow @thegirthpodcast instagram for hilarious sex memes and on twitter episode highlights and daily sex articles.

My Renaissance People aka Blog Subscribers